How do I get started with school? Where can I find help?

The orientation day gets you started with everything. Every exchange student is placed in a  group with a tutor that helps you with all things necessary. Please, feel free to ask anything from the tutors. They are here just for you!

How do I register for courses and exams?

The first registration occurs at the Students Affairs Office (opintotoimisto). After that you will register to courses and exams at Here you will also find your grades for completed studies. A part of the exams are taken on computers at the University. Registration for these exams occurs at 

Where are the school books sold?
A good thing about University is that you usually don’t need to buy any course books. Most of the books are found in the library and can be borrowed from there. Feel free to use any of the University’s libraries. There is also a public library in the city center. You can get a library card from the reception of the library. Ask help from your tutor if needed! Also, summaries of the course books are sold at Wanha Narikka with student friendly prices.
What if I get ill?
The students health care service serves you at Kirkkotie 13. Find more information from their official website FSHS (The Finnish Student Health Service) is the most affordable option for students. Usually there is no need for a certificate of illness for classes. However there are some classes which require attendance.
What are student overalls? Where can I get them?
Overalls are a huge part of the Finnish student tradition.  You can see students all around Finland wearing overalls in different colours; every faculty has their own color. Turku School of Economics for example has navy blue. We collect badges from almost every student event we attend to and sew them onto the overalls. There are also some traditions with overalls. For example, you are not allowed no wash them. To get the navy blue overalls, please contact the Committee for International Affairs.
How many courses should I take?

Credits from the courses at the University of Turku are equivalent to ECTS credits (European Credit Transfer System). The University of Turku does not require a certain number of credits to be done. A full year’s work load is around 60 credits. However, many exchange students do less than this during their time here.

Am I entitled to students discounts?

Yes. After joining the Student Union and paying the membership fee you are able to buy a student card. The Student card entitles you to for example such benefits as: free basic health care, student-priced lunches at student restaurants (2,95€) and discounts in traveling. The student card is definitely a good investment. Find more information here:

What should I know about Finnish people?

Finns like to keep their own space especially in public areas. Privacy is something most Finns respect. There isn’t necessary much small talk going on, so don’t be surprised if your neighbour or the person sitting next to you on a bus does not talk to you. You might think that Finns are rather serious. However, many of us have an excellent sense of humour behind the serious look. Finns are also generally known to be honest and precise; if you set up a meeting with a Finn at 10 o’clock, be there on time! We don’t like waiting. Of course these are just generalizations. Most Finns are friendly once you start talking to them and are always ready to help if needed. Don’t hesitate to approach us! We are anxious to meet new people from all around the world!

Do I need an insurance?

Yes, you should definitely have an insurance. Those students who have paid for the stundent union membership fee have a right to use FSHS (YTHS) services starting on September 1st until the end of August. However, FSHS only covers basic medical services. For example if you get into an accident and need hospital care you need to have the European Health Insurance or an insurance of your own.

Where can I find information on courses?

Get familiar with the courses from here: Exchange students are allowed to take courses at many faculties, with some restrictions though. More specific information on courses can be found from the electronic curricula guide ( The curricula guides provide you all the information you need on courses such as the teaching methods and study materials.